Bacon Wrapped Chicken Wings
Posted by Donna-Marie Pye on
Donna-Marie couldn’t tell you the difference between a first down and a touchdown (Maria’s a far better football fan) but she earns her keep at the party for the game day food she brings along.
These bacon-wrapped chicken wings first made their appearance at a grilling class with our favourite firefighter chef, Patrick Mathieu and are featured in his cookbook “Firehouse Chef – Favourite Recipes From Canada’s Firefighters”. He left the wings whole and wrapped the bacon around the wingette/drumette portion, leaving the wing tip sticking out. This allows for a little “handle” to hold onto the wings. However, if you want them to go further, we like to split them, and just wrap ½ a slice of bacon around each wing half. The homemade sauce uses pantry staples (yes, even bourbon seems to be a pantry staple in our kitchen) and the wings are simply tossed in the sauce after baking. Be sure to save a little extra for dipping too
Recipe Adapted from Firehouse Chef: Recipes From Canada’s Firefighters, 2016
- 30 split chicken wings (not split)
- 30 slices bacon (thin sliced), cut in half
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp prepared horseradish
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2-3/4 cup bourbon
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- Dash hot sauce
- Soak at least 60 toothpicks in water for an hour. Preheat oven to 375° Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil or parchment paper; set aside.
- Working with 1 wing at a time, wrap it with a ½ slice of bacon, starting at the top and spiralling to the bottom. Secure it with a couple of toothpicks. Season the bacon-wrapped wings liberally with the pepper. Place on prepared baking sheets, toothpick side down.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn chicken wings over and rotate baking pan. Bake 20 to 30 minutes longer or until golden brown and juices run clear when chicken is poked with a fork.
- Bourbon Glaze: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook for 10 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Place chicken wings in a bowl and pour over half the sauce. Toss chicken wings in sauce then turn out onto serving platter. Serve warm with remaining sauce on the side for dipping
Serves 4 to 6
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: Appetizers, Snacks