Are you a fan of oatmeal for breakfast? This is the time of year when my slow cooker sits on my kitchen counter daily and I even use it for making my morning oatmeal; nothing like a bowl of hot, tender, pearly oats, all creamy and delicious. The trick to making slow cooker oatmeal is using steel-cut oats.
- 4 cups vanilla-flavoured soy, almond or coconut milk beverage
- 4 cups water
- 1 ¾ cups steel cut oats
- ½ cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup, divided
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed if frozen
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- In a slow cooker, combine milk beverage, water, oats, cherries, ½ cup maple syrup, salt and allspice.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours. Turn off slow cooker and go to bed. (If your slow cooker has a WARM setting, cook the oat at WARM for up to 12 hours).
- The next morning sit in stir in remaining maple syrup. Serve into bowls and garnish with berries and nuts.
Makes 6 to 8 servings