This is one of my favourite savoury condiments to make when tomatoes are in season! It makes a small batch, but I easily triple it for a batch that will last me all season when I have a delicious roast, scrambled eggs, spread on a sandwich or a quick topping for cheese and crackers. - Donna-Marie
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup rice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme (or ½ tsp dried)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine tomatoes, vinegar and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add ginger, cinnamon stick, thyme, garlic and salt. Boil gently for about 35 minutes, stirring often until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Remove cinnamon stick. Let cool or pack into canning jar while hot and boil in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes to seal the jar.
Makes one- 125 mL jar
Cooks Note: I like to triple this recipe and make 3-125 mL jars for use at a later time. Makes a great hostess gift with some delicious cheese.