Recipe & Photo Courtesy Patrick Mathieu
Many of you will recognize our recipe contributor today. It's Chef Patrick Mathieu otherwise known as the Stationhouse Chef or on Instagram as @stationhouse_. Many of our loyal followers have loved coming to Relish and attend Patrick's Date Night classes. So when we reached out to him to see if he would takeover our Instagram account this week, he prepared this recipe in our brand new "Artichaut" Le Creuset French oven. Artichaut is the newest colour release from Le Creuset and it's just arrived in our store. If you missed the IG videos, at least you can make this Oktoberfest-inspired braised dish that he prepared. In case this is your first introduction to Patrick, he is also a frontline hero during Covid as he is often found as Captain on one of the Waterloo Region's Fire Department teams. Thanks for keeping us all safe Patrick! We will see you in the Relish kitchen again very soon.
Gluten Free Version: Make sure you use fresh made sausage without any added fillers or wheat starch. We like to purchase our from Charles Quality Meats or Brady's Meats in Waterloo. Sarafino Mustard is Gluten Free. KW Craft Cider is gluten free. You can find it locally at Sobey's or the LCBO.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 12 fresh Bratwurst sausages
- 2 tbsp Sarafino Apple mustard or grainy mustard
- 1 tsp caraway seeds, optional
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet red/yellow bell peppers, seeded & sliced
- 1 firm, crisp apple, cored and sliced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tall can favourite ale/beer or hard cider such as KW Craft Cider*
- 12 hoagie rolls
- Mustard for serving
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 6 of the Brats and cook, turning occasionally until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining Brats.
- Reduce heat to low and add the mustard, caraway seeds, onions, peppers, apple, jalapeno and brown sugar. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until the onions have softened and are beginning to brown, about 20 minutes. Add the reserved bratwurt and any accumulated juices, nestling the brats in the onions. Pour in the beer and braise the bratwursts, turning once until they are completely cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Place a bratwurst in each bun and pile high with onions, apples and peppers. Top with your favourite mustard and enjoy!
Serves 6 - 12