- 10 - 12 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp kosher or pickling salt
- Slice jalapeños and divide into two 500 mL mason jars. Add 1 clove garlic to each jar.
- In a saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer and stir just until sugar and salt dissolve, about 5 minutes.
- Quick Pickle: Pour the hot brine over the jalapeños. Add sealing lid and tighten. Let jars cool to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Hot Water Bath Pickle: Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Let jars cool before storing in a cool, dry space. Keeps for up to 1 year.
Processing In Boiling Water Bath Canner Tips
- Fill boiling water bath canner about two-thirds full of water; heat water to just under the boil and keep hot. Boil a kettle of water and keep handy.
- Fill jars, using sterilized funnel and measure to avoid slopping onto rims of jars. Always leave recommended headspace (1/2 inch for pickles, relishes & chutneys).
- Using sterilized knife, press out any air bubbles. Centre disk on jar and apply screw band until fingertip tight.
- Place jars in a rack set on edge of canner; lower into hot water and pour enough of the extra heated water to cover jars at least 1-inch. Cover with lid; bring to boil and time processing time from when the water starts to boil.
- Using a jar lifter, transfer jars from canner to rack. You should hear a pop sound within about 10 minutes indicating jars have sealed properly.
Great Ways To Use Pickled Jalapeños
I've been putting these on everything from my morning breakfast sandwiches to grain bowls and burgers. IThey add a little sweet, spicy kick to any dish. Here's a few extra ideas for using them.
- Tuck them into your morning breakfast burrito or breakfast sandwich
- Add them to your favourite garden salad Lentil or Watermelon Salad
- You can't go wrong when you add them to any Mexican dish like tacos, tostados, salad, Mexican Chicken Lasagna or my personal favourite - nachos (from one of our best Relish friends, Sandra Valvassori)
- Topping your favourite chili like our slow cooker vegetarian Stratford Sweet Chili
- Add a little kick to your favourite pizza or guacamole with a few of these chopped finely!