TURKEY, SALSA AND BLACK BEAN CHILI
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 jar (415 mL) medium or hot salsa
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn niblets, frozen or canned
- 1 bottle strained tomatoes or 1 can (28 oz/798 mL) whole plum tomtoes
- Toppings: Light sour cream or yogurt, chopped cilantro, grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, sliced avocado, toasted pumpkin seeds
- In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes until onion is translucent. Add celery and carrots and cook 3 to 4 minutes longer. Add turkey, breaking up with a wooden spoon or Chopula as it browns in the pan, cooking until it is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili power, oregano and cumin and cook 1 minute longer. Add salsa, black beans, corn and tomatoes. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve into bowls and garnish with toppings such as sour cream, cilantro, cheese, avocado and pumpkin seeds.
Makes 6 to 8 servings