Peach & Blackberry Upside Down Cake
Posted by Donna-Marie Pye on
PREP TIME: 20 Minutes BAKE TIME: 55 to 60 minutes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 5 ripe peaches
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups cake and pastry flour, sifted before measuring
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Place the 3 tbsp butter and brown sugar in a deep 9-inch round cake pan and set it in the oven while you preheat to 350 F. As soon as the butter melts, remove the pan and stir well, spreading the mixture evenly in the bottom.
- Meanwhile blanch the peaches; slip off the skins, halve, remove the pits and cut into 1-inch slices. Scatter the blackberries in the bottom of the prepared pan and nestle the peach slices, rounded side down, around them in circles.
- In a large bowl, cream together the 1/3 cup butter and granulated sugar. Stir in the egg, vanilla and almond extract, beating well until combined. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together, then sift again. Stir 1/3 of the flour mixture, then half the milk into the butter mixture. Repeat, ending with the remaining flour mixture. Spoon evenly over the peaches and berries; smooth the top.
- Bake in the centre of preheated oven (350 F) oven until the cake is well browned and springs back with lightly touches 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a baking rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and invert onto a plate.
Makes 6 servings