Mexico loves to celebrate Día de los Muertos or Day of the Dead - a multi day holiday gathering that begins on November 1. We thought this was a perfect time to share this Mexican-inspired lasagna made with simple easy ingredients that are just layered together. We used a store-bought rotisserie chicken (or see our vegetarian version below) for a dish that came together in about 10 minutes. The entire family will enjoy it whether you are celebrating Mexican-style or Canadian-style Halloween.
- 5 cups medium or hot salsa
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken (see vegetarian version below)
- 4 sliced green onions
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Garnishes: Sour cream, avocado slices, cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a 9 x 13-inch baking pan, spread 2 cups of salsa onto the bottom of the pan. Lay half the tortillas over the salsa, overlapping where necessary. Place half the chicken, half the green onion, 1/2 cup corn, half the beans and 1 1/2 cups of cheese over the corn tortillas.
- In a bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of sour cream and remaining salsa. Spread over cheese layer and repeat the layering, ending with the cheese.
- Bake in preheated over for 30 to 35 minutes or until hot and bubbling around the edges and hot on the inside when tested with a knife in the centre of the lasagna.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with additional sour cream, chopped avocado and tomatoes.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Vegetarian Version: Replace the chicken with roasted butternut squash or sweet potatoes. To roast the squash/potatoes, combine 4 cups of peeled butternut squash/potatoes with 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp Mythic Mole seasoning OR 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp chili powder and 1 tsp salt. Spead seasoned vegetables onto a baking sheet and roast in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes until tender. Remove from oven and use in place of chicken when assembling lasagna.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: black beans, Gluten Free, Halloween, Lasagna, Le Creuset, Main Course, Mexican, squash, Vegetarian