This is one of my most searched recipes from the first cookbook I ever wrote - Canada's Best Slow Cooker Cookbooks. A new updated version of my cookbook is being released this spring but for now, it's a good time to stay home, get out your slow cooker and make a pot of this delicious vegetarian chili. I named it after my childhood friend Joy Stratford who has been vegetarian since we were kids. Feel free to swap out types of canned beans, vegetables and sweetener you have on hand and omit sour cream and grated cheese to make a vegan version.
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) whole plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp liquid honey or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 EACH red, green and yellow bell pepper, diced
- Sour cream, optional
- Garnish: Sliced jalapeno peppers, cilantro leaves, pickled red onion slices
- In a slow cooker, combine chickpeas, kidney beans, tomatoes, corn, carrots, garlic and red onion. In a bowl, combine kitchen, honey, chili powder and cayenne; mix well and our into slow cooker. Stir mixture to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, until hot and bubbling.
- Add chopped peppers and turn heat to HIGH and cook for an additional 20 to 25 minutes. Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with jalapeno peppers, cilantro and pickled red onion slices if desired.
Serves 6 to 8