Cabbage rolls take so much time to construct, so this soup incorporates all the best components of the dish but comes together quickly. Just like cabbage rolls, we like to top each bowl with a dollop of sour cream and serve a slice of toasted rye bread.
- 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 2 large cooking onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef, turkey or chicken*
- 1 can (28 oz/798 mL) diced plum tomatoes
- 1 can (48 oz/1.5L) tomato juice
- 4 to 6 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice (white or brown)**
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds, optional
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large stock pot. Add onions and cook 3 to 4 minutes until softened and translucent. Add garlic and celery and cook 2 minutes longer until celery is tender.
- Add ground beef and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon about 4 to 6 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- Stir in tomatoes (with their juice) and tomato juice. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and add cabbage, rice, dill and caraway seeds, if using. Simmer about 15 to 20 minutes until cabbage and rice are tender. (If soup becomes too thick, just add a little more water). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Vegan Version: For a plant-based version of this soup, replace the ground meat with 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) canned brown lentils, drained or 1 lb vegan ground meat mixture. Follow directions as listed above.
YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE TOOLS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE