Spicy Noodles with Vegetables & Peanut Sauce
Posted by Donna-Marie Pye on
Who isn't looking for ways to incorporate more vegetables into their meal plans? Donna-Marie has been making this dish ever since her daughter Darcy tried a year of vegetarian eating when she was 16. Darcy turns 30 in a couple of weeks, and while she eats meat again, she still loves this dish. Don't let the name throw you off - if you are not a fan of spice, leave it out. It's all about the veggies anyhow. Any leftovers make a great next-day lunch too.
- 1/4 cup peanut or other nut butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp soya sauce or Tamari
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar, maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, white and light green part only, cut into matchstick strips
- 1 Asian eggplant, cut into thin strips (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups thinly sliced red or green cabbage (using a mandolin)
- 2 sweet peppers, (assorted colours), seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- 12 oz linguine, broken into thirds (or Asian rice stick noodles, soaked in warm water)
- Garnishes: 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro/coriander or parsley, chopped green onions, toasted sesame seeds and lime wedges
- Peanut Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine peanut butter, water, soya sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and sesame oil. Stir over medium heat until mixture is warm and smooth. Set aside.
- In a wok or large saucepan, heat oil over high heat. Add ginger, garlic, leek and eggplant and cabbage; cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add peppers, cook stirring for 1 minute more or until vegetables are just tender-crisp. Stir in peanut sauce until heated through.
- Noodle Bowl: Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook edamame for 5 minutes until tender. Strain, reserving water for noodles; rinse edamame under cold water and set aside.
- Add linguine to the pot and cook according to package directions, approximately 8 to 10 minutes, until tender but firm. Drain and return to pot. Toss with vegetables and peanut sauce until well coated.
- Spoon into serving bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro, green onions, toasted sesame seeds and a lime wedge.
Makes 6 servings
Cook’s Note: If using rice noodles, soak in water until softened – do not boil. Add to pot and toss with sauce as directed.
Tools You Will Need To Make This Dish
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: Main Course