We’ve added bright green asparagus and smoked salmon for a spring twist!
- 24 asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed
- 8large eggs
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 4 English muffins
- 16 slices smoked salmon
- Chopped chives
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp water
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 stick butter, cut into 1 tablespoon-size pieces
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Asparagus Spears: Fill a 4-quart saucepan with water then bring to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until bright green and tender crisp, about 2 minutes. Set aside. Use same pan to poach eggs.
- Eggs:Fill a medium bowl halfway with warm water. Add white vinegar to saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. (Water must not be boiling).
- Break egg into a small dish. Slide egg into saucepan and immediately push the white around the yolk with a slotted spoon to form an oval shape. Poach egg for 2 minutes for runny yolks, or 3 to 4 minutes for firm yolks. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to bowl an ice bath. You’ll reheat them later on. (Multiple eggs can be poached at the same time, however for more perfect eggs, poaching 1 to 2 eggs at a time is recommended.)
- Hollandaise sauce:Place the yolks, water, lemon juice and butter in a slope-sided saucier pan. Place over medium-low heat and whisk until the butter melts. Continue to whisk until the sauce becomes thick and is steaming, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in the cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste. (Can be make 1 hour ahead.)
- Preheat oven to 450° Arrange English muffins, cut side up on a sheet tray. Brush with melted butter and toast until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes.
- To reheat eggs, bring a pot of water to a bare simmer. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs from ice bath to simmering water – turn off the heat. Let sit in water for 1 minute, then transfer to paper-towel lined tray to drain.
- Assembly: Top each English muffin with 2 slices smoked salmon, 3 asparagus spears and then a poached egg. Spoon hollandaise over each egg and garnish with minced chives. Serve immediately.