Red Pepper Pesto Spread:
- ½ cup (125 ml) store-bought red pepper spread
- ½ cup (125 ml) store-bought sun-dried tomato pesto
- Leaves and tender stalks of 1 bunch of rapini
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 400 g block halloumi cheese, cut into 4 slices and soaked in water for 30 minutes to desalinate
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 multigrain hamburger buns or other bread, cut in half horizontally
- Red Pepper Spread: In a small bowl, combine the red pepper spread with the tomato pesto. Reserve.
- Rapini Slaw: Fill a medium saucepan with water. Bring to a boil, then season with salt. Blanch the rapini in the water for 1 minuye and transfer to an ice bath to cold shock them. When cooled down, squeeze the rapini to remove as much water as possible then roughly chop it. In a bowl, mix the rapini with the crushed garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil and lemon zest.
- Halloumi Sandwiches: In a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil and butter. Add the halloumi slices and cook for 2 minutes on both sides or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and reserve.
- Reheat skillet or grill pan over medium high heat. Lightly toast the insides of the buns and set aside.
- To assemble, spread red pepper spread on the bottom of each bun, add one slice of halloumi and 1/4 of the rapini slaw to each. Grill the sandwiches 2 at a time by pressing down lightly with the panini press or flat spatula, until nicely browned, approximately two minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings
ITEMS YOU MIGHT LIKE TO USE TO MAKE THIS RECIPE: