- 1 1/2 cups regular or gluten-free all purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (the darker the better)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed, optional
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds, optional
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 carrot, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple (with juice)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, optional
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pumpkin seeds, optional
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- 1/2 cup cream cheese (regular or light), softened (half brick of cream cheese is perfect)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Grease and lightly flour a 9 x 9 inch baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, white and brown sugar, flax and hemp seeds (if using) baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add oil, eggs, carrots, pineapple and vanilla. Stir with a wooden spoon or Danish dough whisk well for 2 minutes until well blended. If using coconut, walnuts and raisins, stir them in until well combined.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake in oven for 35 to 45 minutes until golden brown, cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the pan. Sides of cake should also easily pull away from sides of pan too.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting: In a bowl with a wooden spoon, blend together cream cheese, vanilla and milk.
- Gradually add sugar and blend about 1/2 cup at a time until smooth. Spread evenly with a knife over the top of cake.
CAKE BAKING TIPS:
- Use dry measuring cups when measuring dry ingredients like flour and sugar and liquid measuring ups when measuring liquids like milk and water.
- The darker the brown sugar, the more molasses that it contains. This will make for a slightly moister cake. If you only have white sugar, you can use 1 cup white sugar instead of 1/2 white and 1/2 brown.