DOWNLOAD RECIPE CARD
- 4 tbsp Champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp finely minced red onion or shallot
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
- Kosher or coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large ears fresh corn, shucked
- 2 large ripe plum tomatoes or 1 large beefsteak tomato, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- Vegetable oil for brushing grates
- 1 - 2 serrano or jalapeno peppers, trimmed, seeded and minced (or 1 roasted red pepper)
- Vinaigrette: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together vinegar, honey and red onion/shallot. Let mixture stand for about 5 minutes. This allows the bitterness of the onion to soften. While whisking the vinegar mixture vigorously, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the mixture forms an emulsion. Stir in the chopped oregano. Set aside.
- Salad: To prepare the corn, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Generously salt the water, then add the corn. Cook until tender crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare a grill to medium-high. Brush grill grates with vegetable oil. Place corn on the grill and cook just until grill marks are visible on all sides of the corn, about 5 to 7 minutes. Using tongs. transfer corn to a cutting board and remove corn kernels with a knife or corn stripper. Place corn in a salad bowl and add peppers to taste.
- To prepare tomatoes, brush cut side of tomatoes with some of the remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place tomatoes cut side down on the grill over medium heat. Cook, flipping once until charred, about 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer tomatoes to the cutting board and cut into 3/4-inch pieces. Add to salad bowl with corn and peppers.
- To serve, drizzle with vinaigrette; toss completely. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: Cooking with Fresh Herbs, Gluten Free, How To Prepare Your Grill, Salads, Side Dishes, vegan, Vegetarian