The first of Ontario strawberries have finally started to appear in grocery stores and farmers markets. While most times strawberries are used in sweet dishes, this main dish with side compote is a fantastic dish to share with Dad this weekend. We have served it with a seasonal baked sweet potatoes that is from one of our other instructor's - Sandra Valvassori's website. If you really want to please dad, add our Irish Chocolate Cream Pie for dessert. You can never go wrong with pie for Dad (especially if there is a little whiskey in there).
- 1 lb pork tenderloin
- 1/4 cup Sarafino balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Sarafino olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tsp fresh rosemary
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp honey or sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice
- In a blender or food processor, combine vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, rosemary and garlic. Puree mixture until smooth. Pour into a sealable bag or shallow baking dish and add pork tenderloin. Refrigerate for 1 hour or ovenight.
- Compote: In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot and cook 2 to 3 minutes until golden. Add strawberries, wine, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over medium heat until wine has reduced and strawberry mixture has thickened and has a jammy consistency. Add a squeeze of lemon to brighten.
- Preheat grill to High. Remove pork from marinade and pour marinade into a small pot. Bring to a boil for 1 minute or until it has darkened. (You will bast the pork tenderloin with the marinade once or twice as it cooks.)
- Once the grill is hot, scrape it down to clean it. Reduce heat to medium-high, then place pork tenderloin onto the grill. Cook for 12 minutes, setting the timer and turning the meat over every 3 minutes, basting when turning. Cover with barbecue lid between turns. Continue to cook until thermometer registers 140 F in the thickest part. Remove pork from the grill, onto a plate, cover with foil and allow to rest 10 minutes before carving.
- When ready to serve, slice into 3/4-inch slices. Serve with Strawberry Compote and Hasselback Herbed Sweet Potatoes on the side.
Serves 4 to 6