In honour of Pi Day (March 14) or in Donna-Marie's case "Pye Day", we thought a simple chocolate pie was a great idea for this week's Weekend Recipe. It also happens to be St. Patrick's Day on March 17, so just more reason to make a pie and add a little twist of some Irish cream liqueur or Irish Whiskey.
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, chocolate cookie crumbs, gluten free cookie crumbs or other finely crushed crisp, sweet cookie
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 8 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 1-2 tbsp Irish cream liqueur, Irish whiskey or 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp Irish cream liqueur, Irish Whiskey or 1 tsp vanilla
- chocolate shavings, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate or round tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Crust: In a bowl, combine cookie crumbs and melted butter, then press into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
- Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the milk, followed by the egg yolks and place the pot over medium heat, whisking until it reaches a full simmer and becomes thick and glossy, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the chocolate and butter and stir until melted. Stir in the liqueur (if using). Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the filling to prevent a skin from forming and cool for about 90 minutes or until almost room temperature.
- Spoon filling into the prepared pie shell and spread it until it's level. Chill for at least 4 hours or until set.
- Topping: Using an electric mixer, whip cream until soft peaks form. Add icing sugar and liqueur/whiskey or vanilla and whip a little longer until blended through. Spread over top of pie or place in piping bag and pipe a ring of whipping cream around the outside edge of pie. Garnish with chocolate shavings, if desired. Pie will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, loosely covered.
Makes 8 to 10 servings