Soup Sisters Avgolemono Soup (Greek Lemon, Chicken & Rice Soup)
Posted by Donna-Marie Pye on
Some of the simplest recipes are the best and this chicken and rice soup is the perfect example. It's jazzed up with fresh lemon and parsley and gets added richness from the addition of eggs. You can make it without or with cooked leftover chicken for a heartier version. A version of this recipe was featured in the Soup Sisters and Broth Brothers Cookbook, but we've even simplified it a little more.
- 5 cups chicken stock (homemade is best)
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup washed, long grain rice
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken, optional
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring stock to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add celery and rice. Cook until rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a cup and slowly add to the saucepan, whisking slowly but constantly.
- Return to the heat, making sure not to boil. Add lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken if using and heat until warmed through.
- Serve into serving bowls and garnish with parsley and lemon zest if using.
Makes 4 servings
How To Make Homemade Quick Chicken Stock: In a large saucepan, place the bones of a rotisserie chicken and 6 cups water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes at a rapid simmer. Strain, place in a container with a lid. Refrigerate. When the stock is cold, remove any fat (if you like) that has risen to the top and discard. The stock is ready for use, or can be stored in the the freezer for later use.