It's the first long weekend of the season, and while we might have been grilling all winter, there is something about that first summer grill that just tastes so wonderful.
These Teriyaki Turkey Burgers with grilled pineapple are the perfect seasonal addition to your summer menu. They are moist, flavourful, come together quickly, and only use a handful of ingredients. Make sure to give them a try, because you might find yourself adding them to your grilling rotation. You’ll gobble them up in no time.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs*
- 1/4 cup finely minced green onions
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce + more for brushing
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated black pepper
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground turkey, chicken or pork (I like a combination of 1 lb ground turkey and 1/2 lb lean ground pork)
- 4-6 slices fresh pineapple or canned
- 1 red onion, sliced into thick rings
- Lettuce leaves
- Grainy, seedy buns
- In a bowl, combine egg, breadcrumbs, green onions, hoisin sauce, cilantro, gingerroot, garlic, sesame oil, salt and pepper; mix well to combine then add turkey.
- Mix gently using your hands, being careful not to over mix the mixture (over mixing will lead to tough burgers). Form the burgers into 4 to 6 patties, about 1/2-inch thick. Place patties on a parchment-lined pan and refrigerate while your grill the pineapple and red onions. (You can prepare the burgers patties up to 24 hours in advance).
- Heat your grill to medium-high or lightly oil a grill pan and place over medium-high heat. Grill pineapple and onion rings until onions have softened and both sides have nice grill marks, abut 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
- Re-oil the grill or grill pan and add burgers. Cook over medium-high heat for about 6 to 8 minutes per side or until a thermometer registers 165 F, when inserted into the centre of the burger. Brush a little more hoisin sauce on the outside of the burger if you wish.
- To assemble, place lettuce leaves over the bottom bun, then top with burger, grilled pineapple and red onion rings. Serve with any other condiments that suit your taste buds.
Makes 4 to 6 burgers
Donna-Marie's Relish Tip: Its important that your breadcrumbs are freshly made rather than the standard store-bought dried ones and it only takes about 30 seconds. Just place one or two slices of healthy, grainy break in your food processor or blender and pulse on and off until fluffy crumbs are formed.
YOU MAY LIKE THESE PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE: