- Pastry for single 9-inch pie or 1 pre-made refrigerated rolled piecrust
- 1½ lbs heirloom or seasonal tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 3 tomatoes)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 egg
- Maldon sea salt for finishing
- Small basil leaves for finishing
- Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Roll out pastry dough on a lightly floured surface, between two pieces of parchment paper to 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick about 12-inches round. Slide parchment and the dough onto a baking sheet and remove the top layer of parchment. Refrigerate at least 10 minutes.
- Arrange tomato slices on a paper towel and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Let sit 10 minutes and blot with paper towels.
- In a bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan and chopped basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Using a small offset spatula, spread the mixture onto the pastry, leaving 1½-inch border all around. Arrange tomatoes on top of cheese.
- Fold border of crust over tomatoes. Beat egg with 1 tbsp water and brush on top of crust.
- Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with Maldon salt and basil leaves. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 servings