RELISH TIPS - TOP PRODUCTS
POLSELLI ITALIAN FLOUR TYPE 00 for Pizza
Epicurean Pizza Peel
Emile Henry Pizza Set
- 2/3 cup milk (150 g)
- ¼ cup water (50 g)
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (8 g/2 1/4 tsp) quick rise dry yeast
- 1 tsp kosher salt (5 mL)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar (5 mL)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (30 g)
- Preheat your oven to the highest temperature possible.If you are using a pizza stone, place it on an oven rack and slide it into the oven. Ensure your pizza stone preheats for at least 20 – 30 minutes prior to cooking your pizza.
- To begin, ensure the milk and water is at room temperature. Do not use cold ingredients as it will not activate the yeast for your dough to rise.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour,dry yeast, salt and sugar) and then add milk, water and all of the oil. This often works best in a bowl until you get to a kneadable consistency – then transfer to a flour-covered counter top.
- Knead the dough on the counter for approx. 10 minutes until you achieve a smooth elastic and even consistency.
- Put the dough back into the bowl and place in a warm dry place for it to rise. Cover with a tea towel and leave to rest for about 30 minutes or until it had doubled in size. This is the first rise.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and divide the dough into 2 sections. Re-knead each ball of dough for another 5 – 10 minutes. Place again on a tray, sprinkle with flour and cover with a tea towel. Leave the balls for approximately another 20 minutes to rise to double in size.
If using a metal pan: Place oven racks on lowest and 2ndhighest positions in the oven. Take one ball and pat it or roll out onto a pizza base. Add toppings and place on lowest rack. Bake 5 to 10 minutes. Use a spatula to turn up one corner of the dough to check for browning. When nicely browned, move pizza to top rack for 5 to 8 minutes or until top is golden. Ovens with exposed heating elements brown crust fastest so watch carefully; then adjust baking times for future pizzas to suit your individual oven.)
If using a pizza stone: Pat out dough and place on a pizza peel. Top pizza with toppings (see toppings below) Remove the pizza stone from the oven and place the pizza base on top. Add your sauce, toppings, and cheese and place back in the oven on the lowest rack.
- Cook until the cheese is melted (about 5 to 6 minutes) and the edges are brown. Check underneath also so that it does not burn – as the bottom cooks quickly if the stone is pre-heated correctly. You will need to rotate the pizza on the stone while in the oven to cook it evenly on the edges.
- Once cooked, the pizza should just slide off the stone onto the chopping board for you to slice. Always ensure to keep the pizza stone in the oven, hot and ready for the next pizza.
If grilling: Set up a two-zone fire in your gas or charcoal grill, creating one hotter side and one cooler side for grilling the pizzas. Gently deflate the dough and shape into a two 10-inch rounds. Lay on a cornmeal dusted pizza peel or cutting board. Brush the top of the dough with olive oil.
- Slide the dough off the pizza peel and onto the hotter side of the grill to get a bit of colour and crispness (about 1 to 1/2 minutes). When the dough is slightly crisp and has some colour, remove it with some tongs to the pizza peel/cutting board. Top with toppings as desired, then slide back onto the grill but to the cooler side.
- Close the top of the grill and cook until the toppings are heated through and the cheese is melted. Remove the pizza with a spatula onto the peel. Allow pizza to cool 2 to 3 minutes, slice and serve.