First and foremost, a tian, is not a recipe, but an oven-proof earthenware baking dish (see our recommendations below). By extension, everything baked in that dish is called a tian. The Provencal tian is certainly the best known: It consists of vegetables, often zucchini, tomatoes and eggplants. I have often used whatever I have available, such as peppers or thinly sliced sweet carrots too. It's the perfect way to help use up some of that extra garden zucchini you might have. Be sure to have lots of crusty bread to soak up the juices at the bottom of the bowl.
- 1 small onion, thinly slice
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Sarafino olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Organic Fair Herbes de Provence
- 2 zucchini (1 green and 1 yellow/summer squash) or 2 baby eggplants, thinly sliced
- 2 baby eggplants, thinly sliced (not used in my recipe)
- 3 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced in rounds
- Sarafino Olive oil for drizzling
- Flaky salt (like Maldon)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place onions and garlic in the bottom of a ceramic round or rectangular baking dish (approximately 5 x 7). If you have a larger baking dish (9 x 13, just double the amount of vegetables. Really, its about however much you want to put into the dish.
- Drizzle the onions and garlic with about 1 tbsp olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, pepper and a little of the Herbes de Provence.
- To assemble, layer the sliced zucchini and tomatoes slices either in rows or alternating colours and overlapping them to create rows going in opposite directions. Or stack vegetable slices in rows, making sure the slices are slightly overlapping each other. (In otherwords a row of zucchini, followed by a row of tomatoes, then a row of eggplant or whatever vegetable you are using). I made mine in circles
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over the vegetables and sprinkle with the remaining Herbes de Provence. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil from the dish, drizzle with a little more olive oil and bake uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes longer or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- To serve, sprinkle with a little flaked Maldon salt over top of vegetables. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 4 servings
To Make This Dish, Relish Recommends :
Peugeot Appolia Baker (round, square or rectangle)