The sweet and sour flavour of the rhubarb sauce is a wonderful with chicken, so don't think that rhubarb in your garden is just for pies or crisps.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar or honey
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once and sprinkling with salt and pepper, about 5 minutes or until well browned. Remove to a plate to keep warm.
- Add onion to skillet, reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in rhubarb, sugar. lemon juice and mustard; bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any brown bits in the bottom of the pan.
- Return chicken and any accumulated juices. Spoon some of the sauce over top, cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tbsp cold water, stir into sauce and cook stirring until thickened.