The summer solstice comes this weekend. Let's get grilling. Our recipe for Barbecued Chicken Pizza uses our favourite Phlippens Smoked Sauce - a locally made sauce using all natural ingredients, including the wood used to smoke many of the ingredients. Check out our complete collection of Pizza Stones below
- Uncooked pizza dough for 1 large pizza, thawed if frozen
- 1½ cups cooked chicken, shredded rotisserie-style or about 2 cooked chicken breasts, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded gouda cheese
- ½ cup Phlippens Smoked Sauce
- ¼ large red onion, very thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven or barbecue to 450° If you are using a pizza stone, place it on an oven rack and slide it into the oven or barbecue. Ensure your pizza stone preheats for at least 20 – 30 minutes prior to cooking your pizza.
- In a bowl, combine cooked chicken with 2 tbsp Phlippens Smoked Sauce; set aside. In another bowl, combine mozzarella and gouda cheese; stir to combine.
- If using a metal pan: Place oven racks on lowest and 2nd highest positions in the oven. Pat or roll out pizza dough onto a pizza pan. Spread a thin layer of Phlippens Smoke sauce on top of the crust. Top with a thin layer of cheese and red onion. Sprinkle with seasoned chicken. Add another think layer of cheese on top of the pizza and add chopped cilantro to taste. Place pan on lowest rack. Bake 5 to 10 minutes. Use a spatula to turn up one corner of the dough to check for browning. When nicely browned, move pizza to top rack for 5 to 8 minutes or until top is golden. Ovens with exposed heating elements brown crust fastest so watch carefully; then adjust baking times for future pizzas to suit your individual oven.)
If using a pizza stone: Sprinkle pizza peel with a light dusting of cornmeal. Pat out dough and place on top of cornmeal on pizza peel. Top pizza with toppings as directed above. Open oven and slide the pizza onto hot stone.
- Cook until the cheese is melted (about 5 to 6 minutes) and the edges are brown. Check underneath also so that it does not burn – as the bottom cooks quickly if the stone is pre-heated correctly. You will need to rotate the pizza on the stone while in the oven to cook it evenly on the edges.
- Once cooked, the pizza should just slide off the stone onto the chopping board for you to slice. Always keep the pizza stone in the oven, hot and ready for the next pizza.
Recommended Products For This Recipe