- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium head red cabbage, chopped
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until starting to brown. Add onion and cook, stirring regularly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until onion is soft and golden and bacon is starting to get crispy.
- Add apples, cabbage, vinegar, water, mustard seeds, salt and pepper, stirring carefully to disperse the bacon and onions (be careful, the pot will be pretty full). Cook stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes or until the liquid starts to bubble.
- Place butter on top of cabbage, cover, reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally so that nothing catches on the bottom of the pot, for 45 to 60 minutes or until cabbage is soft and sticky and liquid is mostly absorbed.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Vegetarian/Vegan Version: To make a vegetarian version replace bacon with butter, olive oil or coconut oil. Cook onion in oil over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent. Add 2 tsp smoked paprika; cook 1 minute longer. Continue with recipe as directed. If making a vegan version, drizzle with olive oil