Potato & Shallot Bake
Posted by Donna-Marie Pye on
- 2 lbs yellow flesh potatoes, peeled (about 8 large potatoes)
- 8 shallots, peeled
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh sage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- Fresh thyme leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter an 8-cup baking (9 x 13-inch) baking dish.
- Slice potatoes and shallots thinly (using a mandoline makes this job very easy) and arrange in baking dish in alternate layers, sprinkling each layer with garlic, sage, salt and pepper as you go.
- In a saucepan (or in the microwave) heat milk and cream gently until warmed. Pour over potatoes and shallots in baking dish. (Milk mixture should almost reach the top of the potatoes. Add more milk if necessary.) Dot the top of potatoes with dollops of butter.
- Place baking dish on a baking sheet and cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 30 minutes longer, or until potatoes are very soft and top is a little crusty. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh thyme, if using.
Makes 8 servings
Make-Ahead: You can make this dish 3 to 4 days ahead and reheat it for 30 minutes at 350 F.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: Gluten Free, Side Dishes, Vegetarian