- 8 - 10 cups cubed bread (a baguette cut into pieces is perfect), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 oz bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 3 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 1 cup North Country Smoked Apple Mustard Sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp thyme leaves
- Generously grease a 9-x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Place half the bread cubes in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half the bacon, apple and Gouda. Repeat the layers. Drizzle the Smoked Apple Mustard Sauce over the bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cream, milk, eggs, salt, pepper and thyme leaves. Pour over bread mixture and press down bread with a spatula the ensure the bread is fully soaked. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake strata for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until golden on the outside, puffy in the centre and cook through in the centre. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Vegetarian Version: Replace bacon with 8 oz sliced mushrooms. Cook mushrooms in a skillet. Season with salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Freezing Instructions: Prepare through Step 4, then cover with plastic wrap and overwrap with aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Bring out about 1 hour before baking and let stand at room temperature, then bake as directed.