Posted by Donna-Marie Pye on
Having just returned from Mexico, I have become obsessed with the all the fresh food I ate there. It was my first trip in many, many years (I don't count my 1980's trip to Acapulco as a cultural experience), and I was overwhelmed with how many amazing dishes I ate. One of my favourite lunches was in San Miguel de Allende at a restaurant called Jacques where I ate the Oaxaca Bowl (pronounced Wa-Ha-Ca). It's a healthy, flavourful Mexican bowl meal filled with roasted chipotle sweet potatoes and peppers, over a bed of warm, seasoned black beans. It's topped with crunchy cabbage slaw, avocados and toasted pecans. The dressing is a creamy based mayo dressing, but I had it vegan-style which was absolutely delicious. Even if you can't get to Mexico, bring the warmth of the country to your own kitchen with this bright, colourful meal in a bowl! (I had an extra little side of Jalapeno Relish served on the side. Link here for a recipe).
Sheet Pan Ingredients:
- 1/2 red onion, cut in 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 large sweet potato, washed and diced (leave skin on)
- 2 red peppers, cored and cut into thick wedges
- 2 tsp Mythic Mole or Ultimate 'Que seasoning blend
Seasoned Black Beans
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
Quick Cabbage Slaw
- 1/4 red cabbage shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tsp ground dry coriander
- Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- GARNISHES: Sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix, 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or vegannaise
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Mythic Mole or Ultimate 'Que seasoning blend (or see Quick Cheats at the end of the recipe)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Roasted Vegetables: Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Place red onion, sweet potatoes and red peppers on sheet pan; drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with Mythic Mole seasoning blend. Toss to coat evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Seasoned Black Beans: Place black beans and bay leaf in a small saucepan with 1 cup water and heat gently over medium low heat to a simmer. Cook until almost all of the water has evaporated.
- Cabbage Slaw: In a bowl, combine shredded cabbage, olive oil, green onions, coriander and lime juice. Toss to combine, taste and add more lime juice and salt if necessary. Let stand to soften.
- Garnishes: Slice avocado and prepare remaining garnishes. Toasted pecans are a must!
- Mole Mayonnaise: In a bowl combine mayonnaise, lime juice, salt, Mythic Mole seasoning blend; stir to combine and set aside.
- To Assemble: To a large four cereal bowl, place beans, roasted vegetables, cabbage slaw, sliced avocado, cilantro, green onions and toasted pecans. Sprinkle with Everything Bagel Mix. Place a dollop of Mole Mayonnaise on top. Enjoy!
Makes 4 servings
- To replace Mythic Mole seasoning blend, combine 2 tsp ground cumin + 1 tsp chipotle powder (or mix 1/2 tsp each smoked paprika + chili powder)+ 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Replace Mole Mayo with a prepared Sriracha Mayo to drizzle over the top. Or make your own by combining 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 2 tsp - 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce (depending on how spicy you like it).
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: black beans, Main Course, Mexican, Potatoes, Salads, Toasting Nuts, vegan, Vegetarian