Step up your grilling game by grilling your potatoes too, and serving a homemade chimichurri sauce alongside.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ lbs flank steak, resting at room temperature
- 1½ lbs fingerling potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 cup lightly packed parsley (ideally, flat leaf "Italian" parsley), finely chopped
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp EACH black pepper and red pepper chili flakes
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tbsp shallot or onion
- 3/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 3 tbsp sherry wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Marinade: Combine all marinade ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. You will use half for steak and half for potatoes.
- Steak: Place flank steak in a large glass baking dish. Pour ½ reserved marinade onto steak and turn to coat completely. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 – 12 hours. Let steak rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Potatoes: Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with 2-inches water and season with salt. Bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat to simmer and cook potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and arrange on a rimmed baking sheet to cool slightly. Once cool, slice potatoes in half lengthwise and combine with the remaining marinade and toss to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper; set aside at room temperature.
- Chimichurri Sauce:In blender or food processor combine parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, shallots, oil, vinegar and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Preheat grill or grill pan over high heat.Place the steak directly over a hot grill. Grill approximately 3 minutes per side until nice char marks are achieved and a crust is forming. Move steak to a cooler zone on the grill for in-direct grilling for approximately 3 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 130°
- Place meat on platter and tent with tin foil. Allow meat to rest for at least 5 minutes before carving. Place potatoes on grill, cut side down. Cook 3 to 4 minutes until grill marks are achieved, then flip and cook 2 to 3 minutes until hot
- To Serve: Thinly slice meat against the grain and arrange on a warm platter. Arrange potatoes around steak and drizzle with chimichurri sauce. Serve additional sauce on the side.