Make-Ahead Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Posted by Donna-Marie Pye on
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes (6 potatoes)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup whipping (heavy) cream
- 1 tbsp chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, with seeds, such as Goya* (see note below), minced
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce (from the can of chiles)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350° Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the prepared sheet pan and pierce each potato 4 times with a small knife. Roast for 1 to 1.25 hours, until very tender inside when tested with a knife. Set aside until cool enough to handle. (Leave the oven on.) Peel the potatoes, discard the skins, and place the potatoes in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Meanwhile, place the milk, cream, chipotle chile, and adobo sauce in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. (It might look curdled.)
- With the mixer on low speed, add the chipotle-milk mixture to the sweet potatoes. Add the maple syrup, butter, and 1 tablespoon salt. Mix until the potatoes are coarsely pureed. Pour into a 9-by-12-by-2-inch oval oven-to-table baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, until heated through. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Make Ahead: You can completely prepare this dish up to 2 weeks in advance of serving. Once, cooled, cover and freeze in an freezer-safe baking dish. Thaw before reheating.
Cooks Note: You can find cans of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce in the Latin section of the grocery store.