Our 6-week prep school fundamentals program starts at the beginning to help anyone decipher the confusing world of cooking. It is a great opportunity to improve upon your skills with a trained instructor at your disposal.
This program is especially suitable for people who want to start from scratch. Beginners in the kitchen will learn the basics and come away with confidence to cook independently. Those with some experience will broaden their culinary knowledge, hone their skills and acquire valuable tips and insight so they can take their culinary adventures to a new level. Classes take place on Monday evenings from 6:00 – 9:00 pm on the following dates: January 6, 13, 20, 27 & February 3, 10, 2020
What Will I Learn?
- professional knife-handling techniques;
- how to select and cook meat, fish and vegetables;
- how to saute, simmer, grill, roast, braise and pan fry;
- proper use of cookware and essential kitchen tools;
- recipes and methods for soups, stocks, sauces, appetizers, entrees, salads and more;
- use of herbs and spices, understanding basic flavours and complex flavour profiles;
- menu and time planning;
- tricks of the trade from seasoned professionals.
Each session combines the instructor’s lecture and demonstration with individual hands-on execution of recipes that feature essential techniques in modern cooking. At the end of the evening, you and your fellow cooking comrades will enjoy a meal and have a chance to engage in an informal discussion to techniques and culinary topics.
Class 1: Essential Knife Skills / Rustic Farmhouse Zucchini & Pasta with Caramelized Onions, Tropical Fruit Salad
Class 2: Understanding The Role of Salt & Vegetable Cooking Basics / Chicken with Basic Brine, Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon, Sauteed Mushrooms, Blanched Green Beans, Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
Class 3: Learning How To Use A Whole Chicken / Whole Roast Chicken, Chicken Braised with Mushroom Sauce, Quick Fix Chicken Wings & Baked Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Class 4: The Esteemed Egg, Salads & Vinaigrettes / How To Make A Perfect French Omelette, Warm Salmon Salad Nicoise, Meringue Cookies
Class 5: Sauce Basics / Basic Bechemel, Lasagna Bolognese & Homemade Pasta Dough
Class 6: Meats & More / Roast Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Beef Tenderloin with Red Wine Sauce, Classic Creme Brulee.
What To Expect In Our Hands-On Classes: Great cooking isn’t about recipes—it’s about techniques. In our classes you’ll work together with other students in a fun, hands-on environment led by our professional instructors.
- Classes are for participants 16 years and older and are 3 hours in length
- You will work with others in groups
- Hands-on classes are limited to 12 participants
- You will be standing, cooking and working for most of the class
- Please wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes and have long hair tied back
- You will enjoy a generous taste of every dish
RELISH recipes are developed using common cooking and baking ingredients that may or may not be specified in the menu titles, including various fruits and vegetables, nuts, meats, spices, wheat flours, etc. If you have a food allergy, please check with us before attending the class. Adjustments to recipes cannot be made during class.