This recipe is a change from the traditional version, and is lighter and not so alcoholic, making it perfect for summer sipping.
Strawberry Thyme Syrup
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups diced fresh strawberries
- 1 small orange, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup peach schnapps or flavoured vodka
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 bottle (750mL) chilled Spanish rose wine
- Ice cubes
- Strawberry-Thyme Syrup: In a small pot, bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Boil for 1 minute then add the thyme and strawberries. Remove from heat, let cool to room temperature, then strain, pressing to extract out all the syrup. (This can be made up to 1 week ahead)
- Sangria: In a large pitcher, mix together diced strawberries, orange slices, peach schnapps and lemon juice. Add the syrup and mix. Chill for 2 to 3 hours. Add wine and enough ice cubes to fill the pitcher. Stir well and serve.