This recipe is easily doubled to make four jars of chutney. This delicious condiment pairs perfectly with everything from meatloaf or macaroni and cheese to a spread on a grilled cheese sandwich. Our favourite use, though, is as a delicious accompaniment on a cheese or charcuterie board.
- 2 1/4 cups peeled and diced pears
- 1 cup diced shallots
- 3 tbsp minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp minced crystallized ginger
- 1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Place two clean and sterilized 250 mL mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180 C). Set screw bands aside. Place sealing lids in hot water. Keep jars and sealing lids hot until ready to use.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine pears, shallots, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar, fresh and crystallized ginger, salt, allspice and cinnamon. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 35 to 45 minutes or until thickened.
- Using a funnel and spoon, portion chutney into canning jars; place sealing lids on top and lightly tighten screw bands. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes or let cool completely and store in refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Makes two 1-cup jars
RELISH Recommendations For This Recipe: