This fall inspired salad of golden roasted pears on a bed of salad greens is a perfect accompaniment to a Thanksgiving Dinner. Feel free to substitute the walnuts of pecans or almonds and feta or goats cheese for the Stilton.
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium anjou pears (not too ripe)
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted*
- 1/2 cup Stilton or blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salad: Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil. Cut the pears in half lengthwise and using a melon baller or small spoon, cut out the core.
- Place pears in a shallow roasting pan and brush all sides with the oil/vinegar mixture. Roast, cut-side up for 10 minutes, then turn over and roast for 10 more minutes, cut-side down until tender.
- Cover pears with foil to keep warm while you assemble the salad.
- Dressing: Whisk together vinegar, marmalade, orange juice, Dijon, salt and pepper. Add oil in a steady stream, whisking until incorporated.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl and toss with 1/4 cup of the dressing. Place onto a 8 serving plates and place pear half on top of salad greens. Garnish with toasted walnuts, crumble Stilton and drizzle with remaining dressing.
*To Toast Walnuts: Place in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, tossing constantly, until fragrant, making sure nuts don’t burn. Allow nuts to cook before adding to salad.